GLADIATOR 2: OR HOW NOT TO WRITE A SCREENPLAY

I'm having a break right now in between writings, and during these days off I had the chance to read "GLADIATOR 2" screenplay.

I believe this screenplay should be put on top of the list of the screenplays labelled "how not to write a screenplay".
Many scenes in the script are absurd, the goal of the main character appears clearly in the beginning (finding his wife in the afterlife), but progressively, what he wants to achieve vanishes, so much that in the end, this goal, that was so vital to him, has completely disappeared !  As if the screenwriter had totally forgotten about it in the course of writing!
And if you have watched « Gladiator », you certainly remember that Maximum truly loved his wife and his son.

The screenplay includes many ridiculously gore scenes and  animals slaughters, (this looks like one of the writer’s obsessions)  but it truly lacks emotion, character depths and development, and the ending IS BEYOND RIDICULOUS. Moreover, it has been rushed so much, that I had the feeling the writer wanted to finish the script hastily to enjoy holidays.
Maybe it was a first rough draft, but I don’t think so, because it was rejected by the studio, so I believe what I have red was a finale version.

I have read many bad screenplays but I must say this one tops my list. Google it if you want to know how not to write a screenplay.

Jordan.

Comments

Popular Posts