SCREENWRITING ADVICES (PART 2)

THE FAKE AGENTS:

A few days ago, a so-called agent/manager contacted me totally out of the blue using
my website. He did not ask to read any of my screenplays, he just stated that he wanted
to sign an exclusive contract  with me and he worked with prominent stars etc...
I replied asking what was the screenplay he was interested in, he just asked me to send
a log line of one of my scripts, and asked for my phone number. I DO NOT GIVE my phone number so easily.
And several researches have confirmed my doubts: I found out that the "agent"
usually asks writers to pay 200 or 300 dollars to get represented by him.

So why would he ask for your phone number? Because HE CAN NOT WRITE this type of
requests as they are completely illegal. Agents never ask for money to represent you, once again they earn a percentage on what they sell!!!

NEVER, NEVER NEGOTIATE ANYTHING ON THE PHONE!!! Always ask someone to send you emails first and keep writing tracks of the negotiations with them, DO NOT GIVE YOUR PHONE NUMBER to people you don't know!
IF THEY CAN'T WRITE IT DOWN, IT IS PROBABLY ILLEGAL!


Jordan.

Comments

Popular Posts