VIRTUAL PITCH SITES: A BRIEF INVESTIGATION

Have you already tried one of these virtual pitch sites, or famous pitch sites? I get this question all the time, this interrogation often comes from undiscovered and talented writers, desperate to get their work noticed by Hollywood producers agents or studios, in order to get their baby made into a film…
Should I try this virtual pitch site, or this pitch site, should I spend 60 dollars or 100 dollars to place a script on this site?

Well, my answer is gonna be extremely simple, so simple that even a producer could understand it (smiles): NO!!!

They are SCAMS! The only purpose of these wesites is to fill their creator's wallet, not to get your script into a producer's hands! Moreover, no one should ever pay to get work!!!

Seriously, how many movies have been produced this way? Remember the last film you saw, was it produced thanks to one of these pitching sites? The answer is no!
Of course, we all know of these websites claiming several writers have optioned optioned through their paying network, but most of the time these « options » are free options, or micro budgets movies…And finally the screenwriters paid to get their work noticed by producers who couldn't afford to pay for their work! No notorious movies were ever made through these websites.

Last week, a friend of mine sent me a list of producers seeking screenplays, it was posted on a famous virtual pitching site. For those who aren’t familiar with this, you pay the site to send your query letter to a certain number of producers. The cost varies from 60 to 100 dollars depending on the sites.
The site also claims they’re signing new producers and agents every week, all of these cordial people awaiting for new pitches from new screenwriters…Wow! Sounds like we are in an enchanted Disney-like world suddenly!
However even if I believe in Snow white, I know the evil queen is never far and as I’m beginning to enjoy my « investigator role« , I’ve decided to choose a manager on the list of industry professionals and to contact him. I picked up one who was listed as « SEEKING ACTION/ADVENTURE SCREENPLAYS WRITERS »

I sent him a query letter, telling him I’m a screenwriter, with numerous assignments under my belt, a science fiction movie in pre-production, currently seeking representation, and interested in writing action/adventure screenplays (which was false I had no intention of being represented by this person, and I’m not working on action screenplays at the moment)

A few hours later, I received this reply from the manager who is (as a reminder) listed as currently seeking action/adventure screenwriters:

Sorry, Jordan, but I've no time right now for any new projects.
Stan

Strange reply isn’t it? Especially for someone actively seeking new material, a manager who is so much eager to find fresh stories that he has to use one of these pitching sites to satisfy his lust for new screenwriters! I persevere and sends him another email:

My reply to him, a few minutes after:

Hi Stan, sorry but I'm a little confused, because the person who referred me to you was certain you were looking for new projects at the moment, moreover, i saw you listed on this site:
(virtual pitch site url available upon request)

on the list of producers/managers looking for screenplays...Have I mistaken you for someone else? I hope i don't have to pay to have you read my scripts?

Let me know. Thank you.

Jordan.

OF COURSE YOU GUESS THE PREDICTABLE ENDING OF THE STORY…NO ANSWER FROM THE GUY… But SILENCE GIVES CONSENT.

So please think twice before subscribing to these virtual pitching pages and spending your money for some crooks who are using you and your dreams to fill their wallets. If you want to get noticed, the best method is to write a good query letter, put all the passion you have for you story in this letter, subscribe to imdb.com pro, it’s cheap and effective, you’ll find thousand production companies listed on there, the films they produced and their contact info, send out your query letters and wait until you get requests to read your script! It can take some time but it will come! DON’T WORRY! Every screenwriter began this way, every famous writer was born an unknown talented artist in search or recognition! Also a good method to cheer you up as you‘re waiting for positive answer: Read the stories of how your favorite director, screenwriter began his/her career, you’ll see that most of them did not know anyone in the industry, but eventually talented people stand out from the crowd.

Jordan.

Comments

Popular Posts