KEVIN SPACEY ON UNSOLICITED MATERIAL

There comes a point where [a successful actor] can't accept unsolicited material. You're told, "You're going to get sued" if you open up that brown package that arrives at the office that may have a great screenplay in it.
This [now] true of almost every [Hollywood player]: No major agency, no production company, no studio accepts unsolicited material. This is why movies like My Big Fat Greek Wedding take forever to get produced. Nobody wants to do it. [But] it would take just one person saying, "You know, I really believe in that idea" [for the project to be a success].

So I was frustrated over the years at the cutting off of a pipeline that, quite frankly, has been the basis of my career. The best material I've found is stuff that got chucked over the wall -- people who didn't have an agent, first-time, second-time filmmakers who went on to prove themselves later. I was really frustrated by the fact that I had to cut off this avenue that I think everyone in the film industry should be interested in.

Comments

Popular Posts