The break-up

 I finally cancelled an option agreement I had with a producer for 2 of my short screenplays today


I feel relieved actually, because the producer had optioned the scripts several months ago and never did anything with them! So I could not wait to break this « uncomfortable » chain between us.
The contracts were some my first contracts and at this time, I had been told to accept anything I was proposed…Which I have done, but with a lot of doubts!
Indeed the producer proposed a 24 months option for a short screenplay…2 years to get a short film made!!!! Impressive, wonder how many years they would have request for a feature screenplay option???
Moreover, getting paid for my option period has been an awfully slow process, they kept pushing back the option payment dates over and over again and never paid me the money stated in the original contract for the 2 screenplays, so legally, there was a breach since the beginning!


And the funniest part of this anecdote, is that the producer, started shooting the first sequences of one of the 10 minutes short film last summer then stopped filming it for some « mysterious » reason, and was planning to resume filming this summer…I never saw someone making a movie this way! Especially a short!

After some time, this irritating experience became extremely comical !

Why optioning a script when you know you won’t find the money to make the film? Why optioning screenplays when you know you’re not a producer!
I know screenwriters rarely make any money with short movies, and I haven’t been writing short scripts in years now, so to tell you the truth, I had completely forgotten about the projects, and completely neglected them. I’ve had some short movies made in the past and several completely vanished with their directors, who eventually gave up their film making dreams. None of them deserve a line on my resume.
If you’re reading this blog entry, you probably are a screenwriter interested in learning more from other screenwriters mistakes.

So here are a few advices you’ll learn from mines.
Always ask for money upfront when you get a screenplay option proposal. (especially for a short script) Otherwise, You’ll rarely make any money with short movies.

Moreover, it is a good test. If a producer can’t pay screenwriters for their work, then they’ll probably be unable to do the film! No one can make a movie without money.
And if you’re good at something, never do it for free!

A screenplay option should not exceed 12 months! (less for a short script) If a producer can’t make something happen in 6 months, then they’ll never do it…Moreover, you might be wasting money/time if someone keeps your screenplay for months (especially if it‘s a feature), and doesn’t do anything with it! Because you can’t pitch it to other producers who might be able to really produce your work during the option period.

Ask as many questions as possible, if a producer sounds evasive about the making of the film, the cast, the crew, then all of these people probably never existed! Believe me producers love to talk about the movie they’re working on! The actors they’re hiring, their crew, etc…

Finally keep working! There are a lot of amateurish, so called producers, directors out there, but also many passionate artists, it only takes a good dose of luck and a lot of work to finally get to meet them and create your dream project!
Jordan.

Comments

Popular Posts