INTERVIEW

For those who haven't read it yet:

JASMA/RICHARD VASSEUR 09/06/2008

Richard: How did you get into screenwriting?

Jordan: Actually, I have always felt attracted by storytelling. I remember scripting some scenes in the school yard. The first scenes I wrote were the scenes of a story titled a dance with the devil , a fantasy romance between the devil and a mortal. I have completed the screenplay for real a few years after and It’s now part of my completed feature screenplays collection. As soon as I have been able to watch movies and understand them, I knew I was going to do this job. I was around 5 or 6 years old.

Richard: What can you tell us about your three scripts that have been optioned?

Jordan: The scripts are you will never sleep soundly again, the woman on the beach and the man on the screen. I have written them around 5 years ago. They could be described as short movies in the vein of the twilight zone episodes. I’ve been a fan of that show since childhood. They are all fantasy scripts. You will never sleep soundly again is a modern Jack the ripper tale, the woman on the beach is the very dark story of a ghost’s vengeance, and the man on the screen, is romantic fantasy tale revolving around a young woman able to talk to her favorite movie star through the screen of a theater.

They are currently in the pre-production and financing process in New York. They were optioned by producer/director Mariel Matos, who was mostly involved in stage plays productions before optioning my screenplays. They will be her film maker debuts. I wish her good luck!

Richard: What is your involvement with "Cyberhunt"?

Jordan: I was contacted by producer Jerry Seward a few months ago, to write a subplot and polish some scenes on the script Cyberhunt. The film is now in pre-production. It is a very exciting science fiction project, the producer approached me and told me he wanted something in the vain of Blade Runner. I can’t wait to see the final product.

Richard: Why do you write?

Jordan: It’s an egoist pleasure. I write the type of movies and characters I want to watch. I identity with most of my characters, I also write to exorcise some of my fears and angers through them, finally, I want to write movies that carry some messages that will help our society progress, change and think.

Richard: Where do your influences come from?

Jordan: The very first big shock for me, was the famous movie King Kong. I saw the Jessica Lange version when I was around 6 years old. I knew I wanted to be involved in a movie career at that moment. I did not know how, I remember I wanted to be an actress at that time. I used to perform all the scenes of the film in my bedroom. My other influences are: Star Wars, Indiana Jones, I admire George Luca and Steven Spielberg for their endless imagination, this mixture of adventure and fantasy that leads audience in another magical universe. I’m a great fan of Tim Burton’s gothic universe, Hammer movies, Alfred Hitchock, the many twists and turns, and the way he leads audience on wrong tracks are part of my passion, and our common point. I love Christopher Nolan extremely dark universes and the profound characters he pictures in his films. A fabulous lesson for all screenwriters. The universe he created in the new Batman Franchise is pure perfection to me. But I started to write my first script, after seeing Titanic by James Cameron, reading the script of the film has triggered something off in me. I had never read something that was so well written! He has been part of my influences since Terminator. One of my childhood favorite movie.

Richard: What about fantasy attracts you?

Jordan: This allows us escape the cruel reality. As a writer, this is the universe I enjoy to immerse myself in during several days, to flee reality. It’s also a fabulous asset for imagination, there is no limit to creation!

Richard: What is the book "Shudders" all about?

Jordan: Shudders is a collection of short stories revolving around the most famous monsters in literature.

Richard: Can you tell us about some of the monsters in "Shudders"?

Jordan: Shudders feature some of the most famous classical monsters: Dracula, the devil, the wolfman. It’s my tribute to them.

Richard: Why do people enjoy monsters and being scared?

Jordan: I think being afraid when watching movies allow people to shrug off their every day fears.

Richard: What other books have you written?

Jordan: A short novel called Six days before Xmas, A Xmas tale. And heads in the clouds a collection of short stories, including some of the photographs I have taken during my spare time. One of my many other passions.

Richard: What do you think of Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley and Stephen King?

Jordan: My idols! Bram Stoker is a continuous inspiration to me. One of my recent screenplays Dracula Genesis, is based upon his Dracula. It explores the vampire genesis, describes the way Vlad Tepes became the infamous undead, and features many scenes based on Bram Stoker’s Dracula scenes, omitted in other movies. I’m currently seeking producers for this script. Some pages of the script can be downloaded on my site www.jordantate.net

Richard: Why do you like the movie "Batman Returns"?

Jordan: The gothic universe of Tim Burton. Batman has always my favorite super hero of all the times. I love the reason why he became the dark knight: His parents were killed before his eyes. He’s a human being, without superpowers. We relate to him for this reason. I love the dark side of the character. Batman Returns is dark. The atmosphere is fabulous! Catwoman’s character memorable and fascinating! I’m also a great fan of Batman Begins. The movie features a lot of my favorite actors, a perfect and profound screenplay, a much more human and much more darker Batman. It’s definitely one of the best movies I have ever seen. I can’t wait to watch The Dark Knight!

Richard: Have you read any horror or fantasy comics?

Jordan: I have read some Batman and X-Men comics.

Richard: How can someone contact you?

Jordan: Through my website: www.jordantate.net . Through myspace (www.myspace.com/jordantatewrites) and facebook. Or just google me!

Richard: Any final words of wisdom?

Jordan: Thanks for your interest many thanks to all the people who will take the time to read more about my writer’s life, my hopes and dreams. Your support means a lot to me.

http://www.jazmaonline.com/interviews/interviews2008.asp?intID=169

Comments

Popular Posts